Monday, February 6, 2012

Driver Awarenesss Tips From an Adaptive Driving School

Wait in line and consider what others are trying to do.
                One discussion that we have with most any driver who comes through our program, whether it be a new driver or one who has been driving for 60 years is the concept of Driver Awareness.  As driving becomes habit we often do it unconsciously. Let’s face it, we all have had one of those days when we are on auto pilot and couldn’t remember if we shut the garage door or where we parked the car in grocery store parking lot. But driving unconsciously can be very dangerous and so we urge you to be aware of yourself and others on the road. Our Driver Awareness Blogs will focus on giving examples of common scenarios where drivers are frequently unaware.
Driving is Social a social activity. It is important that we acknowledge other drivers, offer them common courtesy and communicate with them effectively. This awareness and socialization does take effort. Let’s look at a few examples.
                Scenario 1: The other day I was driving on the 101 south- same as I do every day. Traffic was bad and backed up where the right lanes merged at Guadalupe.  I was in the furthest right lane and can see the right lane ending sign and traffic ahead; I turned on my left blinker and slowly changed lanes to the left waiving at the gentleman in the Honda civic behind me for letting me in (roadway communication at its finest). A qyuick video to help you picture the scene:

As we inched forward, I looked in my side view mirror to see another car come flying up next to me on the right; he long passed the merge sign before he finally slowed. The car came to a complete stop and finally put on his turn signal. As I inched forward I could see that he was on his cell phone. He looked straight ahead while talking, and slowly inching forward with me, side by side. I watched him carefully, looking for some kind of communication- who will go first?-which I did not receive.  Common sense says I was there first and am in the correct lane, so I have the right away, I should be able to keep moving forward- but he was not paying attention to common sense. I then came to a complete stop, holding up all the other people who have been waiting behind me, to allow this guy on his cell phone to cut me in line.
 People, one of the first things we learn in life is to wait in line. Don’t cut. Wait your turn. The lane ending sign is there to tell you that you should begin merging, not driving 50 yards past it and cutting in front of others who have been waiting. And if someone does let you cut in line, because you are in a horrible rush (we have all had those days too), say thank you.
(Merging should work much like a zipper and if everyone does it correctly no one should have to come to a complete stop).
Let’s “touch base” for a quick second on talking on your cell phone while driving. That is a whole other blog post waiting to happen. There have been millions of articles written on it, so I won’t dive into that here. But, please note, that if you are communicating with the person on the other end of the phone line, it makes it a lot harder to communicate with those driving in the deadly weapon next to you and they should be your priority.

                Scenario 2: As I approach an intersection I turn on my right hand turn signal, stop before the cross walk to assure it is empty and scan the intersection to make sure there aren’t signs prohibiting a right hand turn on a red light. Since there isn’t, I inch forward looking to my left waiting for traffic to clear. I also continuously check to the right to make sure there are no surprises coming that way.
A truck comes from behind, approaches the intersection and enters the left hand turn lane. He moves all the way forward into the crosswalk, consequently blocking my view. This truck is obstructing my view enough, that I don’t feel it is safe for me to turn right and I must now wait until the light is green.
The same way I stopped behind the crosswalk and scanned the intersection, the man in the truck should have done the same. It is important to take a second to consider all the other cars in the intersection and be aware of what they might be trying to do. The man in the truck is "unaware" that he is blocking my view. The crosswalk not only serves for a safe place for pedestrians, it serves as a boundary for intersections. It helps the drivers to know where to expect others to be and therefor serves as a communication tool. When waiting at an intersection, you should always stop and wait behind the cross walk until it is your turn to enter the intersection.


Thats all for our first Driver Awareness Tips "Wait in line and consider what others are trying to do". Do you know a common scenario where you observe others to be "unaware" of how thier driving is effecting others?

62 comments:

  1. Insurance is important for any driving school if they want to operate and continue their business. As a student, you need to locate a good driving school to help you acquire all the skills that you need to be able to be a good driver someday.

    Arizona Driving Schools

    ReplyDelete
  2. After analyze a couple of of the weblog posts on your world wide web internet site now, and I really like your means of running a blog. I bookmarked it to my bookmark internet site file and will almost certainly be checking once more soon. Please examine out my world wide web site as effectively and enable me know what you feel.
    driving schools md
    driving schools in md

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your website is for sure worth bookmarking.
    driving instructors tallagt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when I had driving lessons. It was really fun, and you really learn so much from your instructor. Now it's time for my daughter to start driving. I think she will benefit from getting driving lessons instead of me teaching her.
    Celine | http://www.valleydrivingschool.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips for general driving safety. I am teaching my daughter how to drive, and I think this post would definitely be a great help to her. It not only teaches driving safety, but roadside manners! Thanks for sharing!

    Seth Ashford | http://www.turningpointdrivingschool.com/products.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I will definitely bookmark this post and revisit again. This is undoubtedly the best place for those people who are looking for a highly qualified driving instructor. Driving Schools in Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  7. The most wide-ranging data I have ever got on this topic on the net. I will be right back soon to the same site….
    BournemouthDrivingLessons.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can never be too careful when you're driving. There are so many crazy people on the road and you never know what they're going to do. I would love to know that there are people taking driving lessons and not developing any bad habits. That would make me feel a lot safer. http://www.sunlightdrivingschool.com.au/contact

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great tip! My dad used to make me identify all of the vehicles surrounding me by memory while driving. His reasoning was that you should always know who is around you at all times. If you need to make a quick decision, knowing who is around you and where they are can mean the difference between life and death.Thanks for sharing your tips and providing a few scenarios! http://www.americandrivingacademy.com/product-category/classroom-courses/colorado-springs-classes/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the effort, keep up the good work Great work, the thoughts you state are truly awesome. I expect you will write several more posts. Calgary driving School

    ReplyDelete
  11. This webpage comprises of a pleasant knowledge and giving lessons as well, I loved it lots more. www.convictioninsure.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I remember my driving lessons in Blacktown. It was my first time to drive and I had difficulty remembering all the functions. Good thing my instructor was patient and friendly. She knew I was tense but she helped me to relax and overcome my anxiety. Thanks Louise!

    ReplyDelete



  13. The best Driving Schools [www.topnotchdrivingschool.com] where you can find further detailed info on Defensive Driving Courses,
    driver education, and truck driving schools. For related information visit Innovative Info

    Driving School Ventur

    ReplyDelete


  14. Even when selecting a school, they're square measure sure things that you simply ought to inquire regarding, which can assist you decide if this school is for you.
    The driving educator ought to be your 1st concern. Raise, however, long your educator has been a driving educator. Pease see the below link for more,

    Driving School near me

    ReplyDelete
  15. Driving faculties are getting additional fashionable by the day. Everyone needs to grasp additional and additional regarding them.
    This includes you WHO cannot expect the chance to require the wheel in their hands,
    And conjointly the involved oldsters probing for a decent faculty to send their youngsters. There are some plan regarding driving which will be facilitated full for you,

    Behind the Wheel Driving Lessons

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Tips... Really Appreciated...

    Driving Schools Nuneaton

    ReplyDelete
  17. Found your blog. Its really nice on driving courses in Nuneaton. I appreciate your article. Its important to get quality driving lesson to learn driving properly. So thanks for sharing all that important information.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our driving instructors cover Mansfield. If you would like to obtain your driving licence with as little worry and inconvenience as possible then Andy1st driving lessons Mansfield is the place to be. Andy1st driving school

    ReplyDelete
  19. Incredible post! I will bookmark this post and return to. This is without a doubt the best place for those individuals who are searching for a profoundly qualified driving teacher.Driving School Calgary

    ReplyDelete
  20. your blog is so amazing and i also got many ideas from this blog and I also recommend you to check out Driving School In Birhmingham for more ideas. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  21. It would be a hassle and bother for customers to look for the driving school. With the aid of the visible and clear signage, you will be able to convey the driving education programs that are offered by the driving school. driving school melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing useful information. I really appreciate the post. You can also apply for HR License Sydney by professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really I like your information. The way you have presented the steps and procedure could definitely help in the long term. We really need good information to move ahead and here it is available. Insurance is a must-have thing while taking driving training as no one knows what would happen next. Last year, I took a driving training course online and it paid off. It was quite cheap and effective too, and you could also give it a try. I had insurance before learning and learned driving but to learn a bit more, your informative post could also help me ahead. I will apply your formula for sure and see if it works.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes this is true, sometimes we gotta learn from someone else in order to get better on the road. I was a student at a driving school in Florida, you can check them here if you want to https://www.hialeahdriving.com/, and I did something dangerously without them knowing, that is something I would never want to happen ever again. We all just gotta take our eyes on the road and learn also to give way to others, road is not yours. We have to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A really informative article. we are a cheap truck driving school Sydney in Australia. We also assist in training our students so that they get a professional driving licence in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your article is extremely helpful exceptionally fascinating subject i am looking that sort of post thank for imparting to us keep it up. How much does it cost for driving school?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds Good,
    I like to read your blog. You shared a useful information about Driving Lessons in Canada. Thanks for sharing this amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds Good,
    I like to read your blog. You shared a wonderful information about driving school Canada. Thanks for sharing this amazing stuff.


    ReplyDelete
  29. It’s really a great and useful piece of information.Honda CRV For Sale In Sri Lanka

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cryptocurrency Bitcoin Exchanger | Convert Altcoin To Dollar leading sales platform for digital assets @ competitive market price convert btc altcoin litecoin dogecoin monero to dollar .

    ReplyDelete
  31. Driving School near me

    Welcome to Expert Drivers Academy, We are a professional and affordable driving school in Wentworthville that provide a wide range of courses to support students from all backgrounds and levels.

    to get more - https://expertdriversacademy.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great Blog! if you're looking for a driving school near Toronto please visit High tech driving school.

    ReplyDelete
  33. We read your blog website, share most practical information in blog. Driving school in Reston

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am happy to this blog site giving one-of-a-kind and also useful knowledge concerning this topic. Taxi South Windsor Ct

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am grateful for this blog to distribute knowledge about this significant topic. Here I found different segments and now I am going to use these new instructions with new enthusiasm. Taxi Deep River Ct

    ReplyDelete
  36. tale of this blog is nicely written. the author saved in consideration the grammar thoroughly. level of English additionally thoroughly. Lot many new phrases has been used whilst writing content material of this blog. Driving school Fairfax station

    ReplyDelete
  37. Driving School Wentworthville

    Welcome to Expert Drivers Academy, We are a professional and affordable driving school in Wentworthville that provide a wide range of courses to support students from all backgrounds and levels.

    to get more - https://expertdriversacademy.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Driving lessons Wentworthville

    Expert Drivers Academy Services - Expert Drivers Academy provides the best driving lessons in Wentworthville. We have the best Indian driving instructor that provides safe and stress free driver training.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for posting such a great blog. I found your website perfect for my needs. Read About HR Truck Licence

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hello! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog. Is it tough to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thinking about making my own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Many thankstruck driving lessons

    ReplyDelete
  41. Currently it seems like Drupal is the preferred blogging platform out there right now. (from what I've read) Is that what you're using on your blog?
    hr truck licence

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great blog and Driving tips shared. I was happy to enroll in one of the Driving School in Toronto and learn these lessons. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  43. If you’ve never driven a car before and feel intimidated by the idea of it, join the most preferred defensive driving course Auckland provides.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great blog and Driving tips shared. For more information please visit our website: https://www.nikdrivingschool.com/
    #Driving Schools

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great information. Keep sharing such a informational blog with us.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I have read your article this is really a good article. SS Driving School provides automatic driving lesson in Hornsby area. Keep posting this kind of article. Automatic Driving Lessons in Hornsby

    ReplyDelete
  48. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks for sharing such information. Professional driving instructors in Guildford offer the best driving lesson to drive a car. Manual or automatic lessons, intensive driving courses and female instructors.
    driving instructors in Farnham

    ReplyDelete
  50. If you need driving lessons in Guildford, Hamilton School of Motoring has several, locally experienced, driving instructors covering the area in Guildford. All of whom are able to cater for a range of students – from complete beginners, to those who simply need a little fine-tuning before taking their test.
    driving instructors in Farnham

    ReplyDelete
  51. Incredible article distributed here by you. I have long been eager to adapt new things in relation to this topic, and there is no doubt that I have adapted new things today. manual driving lessons blacktown

    ReplyDelete
  52. The Roman Gladius sword is custom-made. It is like a representative of legendry gladiators’ swords, and people who love the history of great Romans and Damascus will adore this sword in their collection of antique and fun items. The design and make and made all things together will make you feel like a hero you adored while learning about their history. For more information visit here Roman Gladius Sword

    ReplyDelete
  53. incredible article distributed here by you. i've for a long while been itching to adapt new things with respect to this subject, and i have unquestionably adapted new things today. ufone whatsapp packages

    ReplyDelete
  54. What a fantastic post. This is chock full of useful information. I reach a lot of blog posts and I never heard of a topic like this.

    driving instructors in Merrow

    ReplyDelete
  55. Incredible Blog posted here by you really it was wonderfull and very informotive hard to find this kind of quality blog keep it up and keep posting your Blog.If you are looking for driving lessons, make Carole’s LGV Driver Training your first choice. We employ DVSA Registered instructors to give you the confidence to learn safely.For more details Visit us Visit PCV Driver Training!

    ReplyDelete
  56. This is a great feature, so much so that you give it and give it away for nothing. Our article has generated a lot of positive interest.借款網

    ReplyDelete
  57. Incredible article distributed here by you. I have long been eager to adapt new things in relation to this topic, and there is no doubt that I have adapted new things today.ccv.me

    ReplyDelete
  58. This is a great feature, so much so that you give it and give it away for nothing. Our article has generated a lot of positive interest.https://www.ezchance.com.tw

    ReplyDelete
  59. Incredible article distributed here by you. I have long been eager to adapt new things in relation to this topic, and there is no doubt that I have adapted new things today.小現金貸款

    ReplyDelete
  60. Thanks for sharing Intensive and helpful Driving lesson packages Silverwater tips.It's an informative post for those who wants the driving training.

    ReplyDelete