Friday, September 14, 2012

A letter from our Client (Victor's Story: Part 1)

A few weeks ago we received kind words from a former client. Victor Torrado was one of our first successful hand control drivers in Albuquerque.


Victor’s appreciation of us means a lot and we are grateful he has allowed us to share his letter as well as his story. Victor explains that at age 18 he was living in Chicago where he was shot and left for dead. He survived the traumatic ordeal but was left paralyzed. Thirty years later he now lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico where he describes himself as independent. Below you will find Victors letter… but stay tuned as next week we will share the details of Victor’s Story as well as his thoughts on Job Opportunities for those with disabilities and New Mexico’s Public Resources for this community.  



August 7, 2012


While on a Job Training Program, I thought about the need of my driving license. And looking for a Driving School that would accommodate my disability, I was referred to (DTI) Driving to Independence, a program that is newly here in Albuquerque for the disable. While training for an Office Assistant / Receptionist, I was also being trained to use auto hand controls for driving, with the good training that I received from Kristy (DTI) instructor and with her experience and knowledge I was able to get my license.
This is why I’m writing, to share my experience with individuals and programs that help people with disabilities. Driving to Independence is a local program their staff is very professional and caring and I recommend (DTI) to all those in need of obtaining more Independence.
Today one year later I have finish my (OJT) and I purchased a car, and I’m driving around looking and assisting at Job Fairs trying to find a job where I can be productive.
With this few words I’ll like to express my gratitude to Kristy, Molly, and Jenny the staff at (DTI) for playing a good role in helping me with driving lessons, well done girls I’ll never forget the experience we shared, Thank you all for making me feel like one of the family.




Victor Torrado

Council Member at NM Seedloan
(505) 489-7123
 




1 comment: